Thursday, January 22, 2009

Home Made Swedish Meatball Sauce

Since I couldn't find the Swedish meatball seasoning packet at three different grocery stores, I decided to make my own. I cheated and purchased the meatballs already made this time. Maybe I will tackle those next time around... if I still can't find the seasoning. (It wasn't just 'out of stock'; there weren't even spaces where it should have been.)

Here is how I made the sauce. This was for two packages of meatballs. I poured it over whole wheat egg noodles since I didn't buy any potatoes and served it with fresh, home made cranberry jam (sauce) in lieu of ligonberry jam as well as oval Vlassic dill pickles instead of pickled cucumbers...

a couple of Tablespoons of butter
2-3 Tablespoons of flour (maybe a little more, I added a little arrowroot powder because I didn't think it would ever thicken enough... it ended up a little thicker than I wanted...)
2-3 t teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
beef broth or beef stock - I used 1 can
heavy cream (or light cream or milk?) - I used 16 ounces
sour cream
salt & pepper to taste
dash of cinnamon or nutmeg
other seasonings as desired

If you make your own meatballs and cook them in a skillet, remove the meatballs to make the sauce in the same pan to use the meat drippings. Otherwise, melt butter in heavy bottomed skillet. Stir in flour and allow to turn golden. Remove from heat and add in broth while stirring, then do the same with the cream (or milk). Return to medium heat and let boil, stirring often. Mix in Worcestershire sauce and other seasonings and add in meatballs. Serve over boiled or mashed potatoes, or in my case, noodles.

No comments:

Post a Comment