Thursday, February 19, 2009

Oil Cleansing Method for Rosacea, Acne, or Seborrhoeic Dermatitis

I am not really certain with what 'condition(s)' my skin may be afflicted. One doctor a few years ago told me I have rosacea on my cheeks and chin specifically, and that he could prescribe me a nice drug to get rid of it. He also said that I shouldn't plan to get pregnant cause the drug could be devastating to the unborn child, and at the same time, the drug would render birth control ineffective. What kind of drug is that? No, thanks. I think red is starting to be my color.

Then, during one pregnancy, I developed acne for the first time since, umm, forever. As I have researched these skin issues, I have started to see that many of them are interrelated. Rosacea, acne, atopic and seborrhoeic dermatitis, eczema, keratosis pilaris, and who knows what else.. All of us have something going on in the skin department. Some say that many of these skin issues come from the same gene as allergies, asthma, and eczema. Interesting.

Oddly, right now, Daniel's skin issues are the most severe with seborrhoeic dermatitis and eczema. And Dennis has the most unaffected skin of the bunch so far. They eat and drink the SAME THINGS. Always. It is just one more fascinating side to having twins.

So, aside from some moist air in this dry house during the winter especially, I have been learning about some other natural remedies/helps for our skin. We started playing around with diets a bit to see what food allergens may or may not set it off for each of us. I need to take it more seriously maybe and start a rotation diet or something. Also, I found some information about the Oil Cleansing Method.

It sounds a bit like an oxymoron - oil to clean your face? I read about it. I thought about it. I bought the ingredients and left them in the cabinet for awhile. I made the concoction but didn't use it right away. Then, I took the plunge, and I must say that my skin felt silky when I was done, not at all greasy. I was surprised, really.

Anyway, I have only tried it twice, and I have read you have to give it a couple weeks. I made my recipe based on several I have found. I used equal parts extra virgin olive oil, Castor oil, and grape seed oil. I also added several drops of tea tree oil because I love that stuff. Different skin types may require different ratios of the various oils. And some have said they use different oils altogether except the castor oil. That is the constant.

There are some good instructions online. Below are a few sites, and I will try to update about how it works in a couple of weeks. If it works well for me, I may see how it works on some of the kids' skin afflictions.

The Oil Cleansing Method
OCM instructions and mixture ratios
OCM various instructions

1 comment:

  1. I love the Oil Cleansing Method and have sung its praises repeatedly. I was able to get one girlfriend and also my mom to try it, and they both liked it. Have you stuck with it? Did it help your rosacea?

    ReplyDelete