Saturday, July 12, 2008

behind in my blogging

I am behind in what I would like to blog. I have at least a dozen posts that I have started but not finished. And, now, the letter 'p' and the '.' keys are sticking on my computer. That is so annoying when you are trying to type quickly.

Anyway, I would like to give a weekend update or two... but it will actually just be updating items of interest randomly, and I am not making any promises as to how far along I'll get.

My mom and her twin sister (Aunt Karen) were known for their singing before they were married and were asked to sing at various local events and hotspots, you know, church, the local opry, the town's pioneer days, and the like.

Well, the act only got a little bigger when they got married. My dad and my uncle Tom joined in the fun and they continued to get a few gigs, and apparently they still do... they were asked to sing a little ditty about Jack and Diane, no just kidding. They were asked to sing a song, though, at a family reunion for my mom's mom's side of the family a couple weeks ago. (Got that?)

[Side bar: My dad played the drums for that same local opry for many years and eventually became a comedian as well. Buckshot. That became his stage name. I have some great memories of watching my dad on stage. They even had their own spot on the local TV station. So, if we didn't go to the opry we could sometimes watch him on TV! How cool is that when you're five? Or 35?]

On with the show. Mom and Karen sang, and Dad played guitar. Tom would've played guitar as well, but he had to be out of town and couldn't join us. But they did decide to have the grandkids sing with them. Six of Mom and Dad's 11 grandchildren sang - the twins just weren't up to singing in public yet, and Tacy & Clayson didn't make it this year. Karen & Tom didn't have any grandkids yet... their first is due any minute... literally, any minute or maybe he's already here! I haven't heard yet. But I am so happy for my Aunt Karen, and TJ & Laura, too. Can't forget them.




My Dad & Mom-in-law gave us a swing set they don't use anymore (they probably never did, really. It was probably mostly the kids that used it. Ha! I'm on a roll tonight!). My kids are so thrilled. You would think we have World's of Fun or something in our backyard now. I am thrilled, too. I am so glad they have something to do in our own backyard.

On the fourth of July, we went to my parents for dinner. Mom made her famous brisket that is sooo yummy. There was corn on the cob, mmmm, and delicious desserts, or belicious as Max says. We shot off our own fireworks - our kids and Troy's. Then we all watched the display put on by the city. This year is the first year Kynzie stayed outside the whole time, and she didn't even cover her ears/eyes the whole time. Max stayed glued to my lap the entire time, thumb in mouth, cloth in hand. It was past his bedtime, but he didn't care much for the noise anyway.




Tonight, we went to a potluck dinner at a local church where Kynzie has been attending Vacation Bible School all week. This is the first time she has done something like that. She loved 'Bible school' and was disappointed that today was the last day. The church had a dinner, and the kids sang some songs they had worked on all week. Kynzie, my social butterfly, was more interested in all the people than whether she had the right hand motions going at the right time. It was super cute since she's only four.

Delainey had a brief tennis lesson this week and a photography lesson of sorts at the library. So, now she is trying to take some photos to enter in the photo contest. I wish our camera would work out better for her, but she's trying. I'll try to post some of her photos later this week.

Speaking of photos, I will post some in this post later. The SD card is in the other room where the twins are sleeping and I don't want to go rummaging right now. So, maybe check back again a little later if you want to see some pics.

No comments:

Post a Comment