Tuesday, April 01, 2008

What to Eat When You're Pregnant Part 1

Let me say this right up front and really loud: I AM NOT AN EXPERT. I have no official training. All I have learned is from my own reading and research, as well as some classes and experience. But I have become quite passionate about nutrition, especially during pregnancy. And the topic seemed much more vital to me with twins this time. So I am sharing some of my simple and humble suggestions for those who may need some ideas.

First, I want to mention the protein powder. I am not sure that it is a healthy substitute for protein, but I did use it to bolster my numbers. This is the best-tasting protein powder I have tried yet – Jay Robb’s Protein Powder (I have only tried the strawberry flavor so far.) I have been choosing non-soy protein powders and bars for the most part, mainly whey. This one is a whey powder from grass fed cows not treated with rBGH, and it is sweetened with stevia. It was much cheaper at the health food store than these online prices.

Protein powder can be added to smoothies and shakes, pancake mix, oatmeal, yogurt and berries, mostly any sauce you make like marinara sauces, pudding, and probably much more. Some recipes may not work as well with the flavored powders. Maybe I will post some of my favorite smoothie concoctions later.

Currently, I have a powder called Designer Whey, French Vanilla flavor. It is not my favorite. In fact, I don't care for the flavor it gives my smoothies much at all, but I have used it in pancakes and some other recipes. They have some recipes on their website
. I mostly used their recipes to spur my imagination.

Okay, Breakfast. This is important – don’t skip it. Usually I eat 2 eggs (scrambled, in some sort of omelet form, or any way I can get them down…) thus fulfilling my daily quota for the Brewer Diet (which I highly recommend!). I add to the eggs two pieces of whole wheat or whole grain toast (lightly toasted) with Smart Balance spread (or sometimes coconut oil for a change of flavor. Coconut oil also counts as a good fat.). Often I have two or maybe three pieces of turkey bacon, too. Sometimes that is enough, and other days I add a piece of fruit, my favorite being an orange (may be too much sugar to process early in the morning).
I also want to mention some things about bread here. I know making your own is probably best, and at times I do, but that is not the norm and pregnancy is not always the time to make all new habits. So, keep these things in mind when choosing bread. Most, even whole wheats and grains, are made with high fructose corn syrup. It is best to avoid this when possible. Although sugar is sugar, it is better for your body to eat sugars as close as possible to their natural state (true for any food really). And high fructose corn syrup is a highly chemically processed "sugar".
There is much debate about what sweetener/sugar is better than another, so I will let you decide which one you should pick. I try to stay away from chemically processed artificial sweeteners as well, especially during pregnancy.
There is one bread that I found to be sugar-free - Mrs. Baird's Sugar Free Whole Grain Wheat Bread. It is not as dense as other breads, but it is not too bad for sugar free bread. It is good for those needing lower carbs.
Also, if it doesn't say 100% whole grain or whole wheat, then it probably isn't. It may be made with refined flour that has nutrients added back in. Most store-bought breads are made in such a way so as not to go rancid too quickly. Most grains begin the journey to rancidity almost as soon as they are milled. I used to eat cereal in the morning, but I have found that packaged cereal contains too much sugar for me to process in the morning. It takes your body longer in the morning to process sugars. If you do eat a good deal of sugars in the morning, exercise after breakfast helps process the glucose more quickly. A little cinnamon added to your toast can also be helpful in stabilizing blood sugar. By the way, exercise just needs to be about 15 minutes of movement, walking, bicycling, swimming, arm curls holding a can of beans.

I still eat Kashi Cinnamon Harvest from time to time for a sweet snack later in the day (along with a protein). I did eat Kashi GoLean Crunch for breakfast for awhile. It is not the yummiest cereal in the world, but since we don’t really care for the healthy oatmeal type cereal, this was a semi-healthy substitute. Ten grams of fiber per serving! And 13 grams of protein! (Keep in mind my daily protein goal is 160, so this is exciting news.) Oh, and since I don’t care for milk on my cereal, I didn’t have to worry about that added carb/sugar load in the morning.

I used to have smoothies in the morning and gave that up for the same reason I gave up the morning cereals. But I still have smoothies throughout the day – spinach smoothies, other veggie smoothies, fruit smoothies, milk & ice with a little stevia and mint flavored chlorophyll tastes really yummy! Add protein powder to any of the above to boost your protein numbers.

No comments:

Post a Comment