Thursday, April 03, 2008

What to Eat When You're Pregnant Part 2

Let’s talk about it this way… according to the Brewer Diet checklist. They recommend 4 servings per day in the first category - Milk/Dairy. There is much debate over milk and dairy products – raw, organic, free-range, etc. But I am not going to discuss those issues at this point.

Most store-bought milk has the same amount of protein per serving whether it is whole, 2%, skim, whatever. The only differences are the amount of fat and the number of carbs per serving. And don’t assume that lower fat means lower carbs, in any food. In fact it usually means the opposite. Reduced fat usually means higher carb counts. The last time I compared skim milk to 2%, skim had 2 more carbs per serving with 0 fat.

You don’t really want to totally avoid fat while you are pregnant. You just want to be careful how much and what kind.

Most of my milk intake is through smoothies and shakes. I think milk can really contribute to any congestion or mucous build up. And, those are very common symptoms of pregnancy for many women.

Cottage cheese has become my new favorite snack especially with frozen berries (mixed berries are my favorite, but raspberries are much lower carb). I also like to eat it with other fruits mixed in, especially unsweetened crushed pineapple, or add a drizzle of honey and some cinnamon. I don't care for it by itself so much, though. I've heard people like to eat a scoop on a fresh baked potato, too. I tried adding it to scrambled eggs, and it was okay. You can "hide" it in other recipes such as lasagna and pancakes.

I haven’t been able to find an economical, easily accessible alternative to high-fructose yogurts. I have made our own, but not lately. I only have so much energy for cooking and baking… So we buy a large carton of plain yogurt and add fruit to it. If it doesn’t seem sweet enough, I add a minimal amount of Stevia, and the kids love it. I think the favorite so far is frozen berries pureed in the blender and mixed into the yogurt.

I stay away from the yogurt mostly, only because it is higher in carbs, of course. I have used it in baking in place of buttermilk. By the way, applesauce substituted for oil in many recipes makes a healthier and moister product.


Some people count cheese in the protein category because it is higher protein and lower carbs. I don’t have a whole lot to say about cheese because I don’t really care for cheese. I eat it melted on top of food or added into a recipe, but not to just sit and eat a block or slice of cheese.

If you complete all your dairy “requirements”, then any additional servings of milk or dairy can be counted in protein (in 7 gram increments).

Oh, there are more dairy products – sour cream, cream cheese, butter, and, yes, ice cream. I personally stay away from margarine and stick with butter for baking and some cooking. We use Smart Balance for spreadable butter. Do a search on how they make margarine if you want to know why. I am trying to stay as close to the natural or whole foods as possible. By the way, butter doesn’t count as a dairy serving, but maybe a fat.


Eggs are kind of their own category in the Brewer Diet, so I'll talk about them next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment