Friday, October 31, 2008

Apple Pie with a Granola Crust

Here is the recipe as requested (sorry it's a little late.)

I find recipes that sound yummy and combine a little from this recipe and a little from that recipe and add a little something of my own. So, repeating the same product twice is sometimes impossible. But, I am going to try to give the recipe for a yummy apple pie/apple crumble.

I purchased pre-made granola pie crusts (similar to graham cracker crusts). Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Brush pie crust with egg whites and bake for 5 minutes; set aside.

I used apples from my mom's apple tree... mmm, they were delicious. Maybe 5-6 cups peeled, cored and sliced

I also don't really measure things so much. But I am going to give measurements to the best of my ability.
1 T lemon juice
1/2 c brown sugar
1/4 c sugar
3 T whole wheat flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
TOPPING
2/3 c whole wheat flour
2-3 T flaxseeds
1/2 c brown sugar
2-3 T wheat bran
1/2 c oatmeal, rolled - may need more if you think it needs it... I may have used up to a cup one handful at a time...
1/4 to 1/2 c applesauce (start with less and add more if needed)

Mix apples with all the ingredients listed before TOPPING. Spoon into pie crust. Next, combine topping ingredients with a fork or pastry blender until crumbly. Sprinkle over apples. Bake at 350 for about 45 minutes. Topping should be golden and bubbling.

I just thought of another variation of this recipe that I enjoy is Apple Cranberry Crumble. Yummy! I love to add cranberries to many different recipes - Cranberry Butter, Cranberry Bread, Cranberry Pineapple Jell-O... the list goes on!

3 comments:

  1. THANK YOU! :D
    Are the any substitutions i can make for some of the ingredients so i don't have to go out and buy a whole thing of flaxseeds?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You don't have to use flax seeds at all. If you would like the texture, maybe some chopped pecans or other nuts. Otherwise, you could buy the flax and use it in everything else - cereal, smoothies (just a little at first), salads, breads, muffins, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and the wheat bran (oat bran, wheat germ, etc.) is optional as well.

    ReplyDelete