Monday, November 10, 2008

A good cornbread recipe for an iron skillet

I made cornbread in my iron skillet… I am still looking for the BEST cornbread recipe, but this one was pretty good. Is all cornbread a little on the dry side? But this one was not nearly as crumbly as many other recipes I've made/eaten.
1 cup cornmeal – I only had maybe 2/3 cup left, so I added a little corn grits (polenta) to make it just under 1 cup. Then added a little extra flour.
1 cup flour – I used a combination of white and whole wheat.
1 stick (1/2 cup) butter
1 ½ cup buttermilk – I did not have buttermilk, so I used 1 cup plain yogurt and ½ cup milk.
1/3 cup sugar
2 medium eggs
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda

Here is where I found the original recipe: http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/mybestcornbread.htm But of course, I couldn’t just make it as stated. I didn’t mix it in the order they suggest either, but it may have been even better if I had. I think this was the best cornbread I have made yet. It isn’t terribly sweet, but you can always add honey and butter when you’re ready to eat it up. It had a good flavor and a good texture. Oh, and I added cinnamon because I am a bit of a cinnamon fanatic. A teaspoon of vanilla would add some nice flavor as well.

Next time, I may add flax seeds, too…

No comments:

Post a Comment