Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Home Made Muesli Mix Brings Germany Home

mmm, mmm, mmm good! That's what this is. When Scott came home from Germany in February, he was constantly raving about the breakfasts he ate daily. Yogurt, apple cider type beverage, fruits, and a granola-like cereal. He spoke longingly of this granola-like cereal often. I dismissed the notion of having it here, thinking it was most likely a "Germany only thing".

In the meantime, I had been searching for an alternative to prepackaged oatmeal (because I don't care for it). I want something a little healthier and more filling than sugary boxed cereal. I like to reserve that for a special occasion or a treat or snack more than a way to start the day. So, I first came across Swiss oatmeal in a cookbook. (I cut the recipe down to 2 servings.) This was better, but still not quite the texture I desire.

One day, while on a search for a healthy, yet easy treat to take to a get-together, I spied a bag of Bob's Red Mill Muesli that looked interesting. It even had a delicious cookie recipe on the back. I took it home and made a batch of the cookies. I felt the recipe needed modifications and was quite pleased with the end result.

Also on the bag was the directions to eat the muesli as cereal, either hot or cold. I decided to give the cold version with milk a try first and found that I really enjoyed it. When I described my new found breakfast delight to Scott he said, "That's sounds like what I ate in Germany!"

As a side note, I grew up not liking hot cereals, porridges, or gruel of any sort. I also did not care for milk in my cereal. The texture of soggy cereal was not bearable for me. And, with maybe two exceptions, I still don't care for these things. So, trying to find something similar to what I don't like in a form that I do like has been a challenge.

Now I make it at home. And here is the recipe so far. I am sure as I learn more and try this or that, my recipe will change. What is Muesli, anyway? Check out the Wikipedia definition.

O'Brien Morning Muesli

4 cups 100% whole grain rolled oats (thick cut may taste better, but I haven't tried that variety yet)
1 cup pearled barley, uncooked
1 cup unsweetened flake coconut (not shredded)
1 cup slivered almonds
1/4-1/2 cup sunflower seeds, unsalted is best
1 cup raisins
1/4-1/2 cup date crumbles, look for no sugar added
1/4-1/2 dried cranberries
2-3 tablespoons flax seeds

Mix it all together and keep it in an airtight storage container. I actually doubled this today, and it should last us 1 week if Scott, Kynzie, and I eat it. (Scott may not eat it until he has his dentist appointment next week.)

If you do soak the oats overnight before mixing the cereal, which is probably the healthiest way as soaking grains brings out the best nutrient-wise, you would want to reduce the recipe down to tablespoons at a time instead of cups. You would only want to soak what you could eat in one day at a time. You could also mix fresh fruits instead of dry this way.

I add a little cinnamon and Stevia to it in my cereal bowl. Kynzie likes it this way as well. I have a sweet tooth that I am trying to tame, and Stevia seems to help in that department.

Scott enjoys it with a glass of apple cider just like in Germany. In fact, it brought back memories of Germany so vividly for him he's going back again! Seriously, his work is sending him back to Germany but only for a week this time.

Anyway, I also found a great recipe for Chicken Barley Soup to use some of the pearled barley! Maybe I'll post that one later.

No comments:

Post a Comment